Starting October 2020, The City of Lawrence’s Ordinance 9566 went into effect requiring front end managers of drinking establishments to go through a bystander intervention training with a focus on sexual violence prevention. To find out more about Ordinance 9566, visit the City of Lawrence website.
The Care Center will offer trainings every month. Trainings are currently offered online, due to social distancing requirements. To see all upcoming trainings, go to Eventbrite to register: https://www.eventbrite.com/o/sexual-trauma-and-abuse-care-center-31615257423.
The 90 minute training will cover the following learning objectives:
- Sexual violence definition, education, and support options
- Bystander intervention techniques
- Identification, barriers to intervention, intervention strategies with a focus on de-escalation and safety
- Strategies for follow-up with patrons and staff
- Strategies for communicating policies to staff, accessing ongoing support and resources
For more information or questions, contact Gabby Boyle at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 785-843-8985, ext. 8.
Completed SafeBar Alliance training will also qualify for the requirement. SafeBar training will continue to cover the same learning objectives but include expand staff education, support, and skill development through scenarios and team coordination. Bars have the option to either participate in both trainings, or just The SafeBar Alliance to meet requirement. SafeBars receive expanded support and materials for patrons as well. Learn more about The SafeBar Alliance.