Whether your experience happened recently or years ago as a child, it’s never too late to get the help and support you need. Counseling can be a helpful resource and a tool for healing.
The Care Center counselors provide trauma-informed, specialized support to people of all ages and genders who have experienced sexual trauma or abuse. All services are completely free-of-charge and confidential.
Since everyone’s experience is unique and everyone needs something different, The Care Center counseling services are flexible and individualized. When working with The Care Center counselors, the following options are available:
- You can learn about how trauma affects the brain and the body.
- You can learn about symptoms and gain coping skills for managing them.
- Counselors offer a safe and understanding place for you to process your feelings, whatever they may be.
- Therapy can be short term crisis intervention or you can choose to continue therapy for up to a year.
- You are allowed to bring a support person along.
- Counselors often coordinate with other mental health providers to make sure you are getting wrap-around services.
- Individual therapy is also available to the friends, family, and loved ones of victims and survivors.
Page under construction.
The Care Center currently offers support groups in Douglas, Jefferson, and Franklin Counties. Groups are free and confidential. Facilitated by the Support Group Coordinator, groups focus on cultivating a trauma-informed safe space for peers to support and believe one another and to develop anxiety soothing skills. To learn more about joining a support group, please call 785-843-8985.
Open Support Groups:
The Care Center is not currently hosting in-person support groups. Updates will be provided as soon as they are available.
Online Support Groups:
The Care Center hosts confidential online support groups on Tuesdays at 11am and Thursdays at 4pm. Topics will vary by session. To join an online support group, visit: https://affiliate.rainn.org/helproom/thecarecenter. You will only be able to enter the chatroom at the specified dates and times. For more information on online support groups, or for help joining the online support group, please call 785-843-8985.