Whether your experience happened recently or years ago as a child, it’s never too late to get the help and support you need. Counseling can be a helpful resource and a tool for healing.
Online Support Group – Now Offering!
The Care Center now offers support in an online group setting. Our online support group meets weekly and is open-ended with no appointment necessary to participate. This support group will allow you to share your experiences and feelings, and participants can learn information and coping techniques from each other. Everything in the group is optional, and participants are never obligated to share their story. The Care Center believes no one should have to live in shame or isolation, and that a supportive community provides the validation and understanding that all survivors deserve. Questions about the online support group? Email Mallory at email@example.com.
Thursdays at 7:30-9pm
6 weeks starting March 28th
Our groups will be in session:
March 28th @ 7:30pm
April 4th @ 7:30pm
April 11th – NO GROUP
April 18th @ 7:30pm
April 25th – NO GROUP
May 2nd @ 7:30pm
May 9th @ 7:30pm
May 16th @ 7:30pm
Interested participants can click the teal button to join the group during the scheduled time.
This online support group wouldn’t be possible without the support of KU Student Senate. Thank you!
The Care Center counselors provide trauma-informed, specialized support to people of all ages and genders who have experienced sexual trauma or abuse. All services are completely free-of-charge and confidential.
Since everyone’s experience is unique and everyone needs something different, The Care Center counseling services are flexible and individualized. When working with The Care Center counselors, the following options are available:
- You can learn about how trauma affects the brain and the body.
- You can learn about symptoms and gain coping skills for managing them.
- Counselors offer a safe and understanding place for you to process your feelings, whatever they may be.
- Therapy can be short term crisis intervention or you can choose to continue therapy for up to a year.
- You are allowed to bring a support person along.
- Counselors often coordinate with other mental health providers to make sure you are getting wrap-around services.
- Individual therapy is also available to the friends, family, and loved ones of victims and survivors.
Page under construction.
The Care Center currently offers support groups in Douglas, Jefferson, and Franklin Counties. Groups are free and confidential. Facilitated by the Support Group Coordinator, groups focus on cultivating a trauma-informed safe space for peers to support and believe one another and to develop anxiety soothing skills. To learn more about joining a support group, please call 785-843-8985 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Open Support Groups are available at the following locations and times:
- Lawrence Open Group: Mondays from 12:00pm-1:00pm at the Lawrence Office
- Ottawa Open Group: 1st and 3rd Thursdays every month from 2:00pm-3:30pm at the Ottawa Office
- Perry Open Group: 2nd Wednesdays every month from 2:00pm-3:30pm at the Perry Center Office