SAAM 2019: I Ask For Consent
National conversations about sexual assault and harassment dominating the headlines have prompted many communities to focus efforts on consent education and sexual violence prevention. This year’s SAAM theme I Ask for Consent highlights the power of asking for consent – whether it be asking to hold someone’s hand, for permission to share personal information with others, or if a partner is interested in sex. Consent is a clear, concrete example of what it takes to end sexual harassment, abuse, and assault. I Ask for Consent is the statement by which individuals will demonstrate that asking for consent is a healthy, normal, and necessary part of everyday interactions.
Teaching Consent at Every Age
The Care Center is hosting events this April that are geared towards parents, caregivers, teachers, educators, and any community member interested in learning ways we can teach consent at every age! What are ways that we can promote a culture of consent for the children and youth in our lives? Come join us for interactive discussions and walk away with concrete, practical tools!
Tuesday, April 23rd at 6:00pm-7:30pm
Meriden United Methodist Church
100 Dawson Street, Meriden, KS 66512
Come join the community to take a stand against sexual assault! This annual event features community speakers, music, refreshments, resources, and a candlelight vigil & Speak Out Circle.
Thursday, April 25th
South Park Gazebo
SAAM Action Kit
Downloads & resources for you to use! Tag us @stacarecenter or email us to let us know how we can help!
- Self-Care for Survivors handout
- How to Help a Friend 101
- Rape Culture 101
- SAAM events at the University of Kansas
In the Community
- All Month Long: Free Online Support Group
- Tuesday, April 2nd: Lawrence City Commission proclaims April as Sexual Assault Awareness Month
- Wednesday, April 3rd: Franklin County Commission & City of Ottawa Commission proclaims April as Child Abuse & Sexual Assault Prevention Month
- Wednesday, April 3rd: Douglas County Commission proclaims April as Sexual Assault Awareness Month
- Friday, April 5th: Wear Blue Day for Child Abuse Prevention & Awareness Month